Large Abalone Shell
This stunning large abalone shell looks beautiful as an ornament in the home although it is traditionally used for burning Palo Santo, also known as holy wood for the purpose of smudging. It can also be used with smudge sticks made from sage.
Abalone shells are often used in smudging rituals, not only because they are practical in that they catch the hot cinders that fall away from the smudging stick after it has burnt, but also because they are a beautiful gift straight from Mother Earth’s ocean. Abalone shells are a thick seashell which shimmers with the gorgeous iridescent colours of mother-of-pearl. They hold the energy of the ocean and bring a strong calming and healing energy, allowing you to remain connected to the sea – even when you are landlocked.
Including abalone shells in your smudging rituals means you are incorporating all four of the earth’s elements: the shell represents water, the smoke represents air, the unlit herbs or sticks represent earth and once they’re lit they represent fire. By incorporating the elements into your smudging ritual, you’re inviting Mother Earth to be the focus of your ceremony. It is here, in the space created by Her, that transformations and manifestations have room to occur.
HOW TO CONDUCT A SMUDGING RITUAL WITH ABALONE SHELLS
You may wish to use a layer of sand inside the abalone shell to protect the natural shine that it has, from any smoke or embers.
- Using a match, light your herbs or smudging stick
- Rest the sticks or herbs in the abalone shell, using it to collect any ashes or embers as the sticks or herbs burn
- To bless a person or object, use a feather to brush the smoke around them
- You may wish to walk around a space with the sticks or herbs, allowing the smoke to waft into the corners and ceiling.
- Abalone shells have holes in them, so ensure any hot embers don’t fall through onto flammable materials such as carpet or bed linens
- If the smudging sticks have been resting in the abalone shell for awhile, the shell may get hot, so use caution when handling it
Dimensions: H:6cm W:18cm D:6cm