St Johns House, Warwick
Date: Saturday 16th February 2019
Standing on a site with over 800 years history, St Johns House, Warwick, is sure to have a spooky tale or two to tell of.
This beautiful Jacobean property is said to have a plethora of spirits, with numerous visitors over the year reporting of paranormal activity.
Ghostly Goings On will lead you on an investigation inside St Johns House, exploring every corner of the house – Including the attic, basement and the old school room.
Two sisters reportedly died inside the house, and it’s these two ladies who are quite often seen milling around their former home. With so much heartbreak and sorrow embedded into these walls, it’s not surprising to learn that St Johns House is one of Warwick’s most haunted locations.
St Johns House, a Jacobean mansion located in Warwick, has a history spanning almost 900 years. The land on which it stands was originally used as a hospital in the 12th century. The current house has been used as a private residence, a school and administrative offices of the War Department.
As a hospital:
In the mid 12th century, during the reign of Henry II, the land on which St. John’s House stands was given to the establishment of the Hospital of St. John the Baptist. The hospital was brought into being by William de Beaumont, then Earl of Warwick. This hospital provided two purposes: To help the local poor and ill; and to provide casual overnight boarding and food to impoverished travelers such as pilgrims. The Hospital of St. John the Baptist was one of two such hospitals in the town of Warwick at the time. The other was the Hospital of St. Michael, founded with the sole purpose of providing help and respite to those in the parish suffering from leprosy. Of both hospitals, only the chapel building of St. Michael still stands.
As a residence:
During the Dissolution of the Monasteries at the behest of Henry VIII, St. John’s was granted to Anthony Stoughton, for services to the King. The land was later passed to his eldest son William by inheritance. Neither of the two lived in the house, but they leased it out to others such as Richard Townsende, a yeoman at Warwick. Eventually the land was inherited by the son of William Stoughton, Anthony Stoughton (junior), who built a house on the site. Of note is the fact that in the East Wing of the house there is a door lintel which bears the date 1626 and the initials A.S.. The house remained in the possession of the Stoughton family until 1960.
As a school:
In 1791, the building was rented out for the first time by the Earl of Warwick for public use, with the intent of converting it into a school. The school, then known as St John’s Academy, was founded by William T Fowler and was set up as a school for “Young Gentlemen” (as advertised on the hand-bill. Throughout the life of the school, its cohorts changed frequently. In 1828, the daughters of William Fowler, then running the school, changed it to a school for girls. It was then reverted in 1845 under a Mr. Townsend. Then it returned to a girls’ school in 1884, which continued until the very end of the 19th Century. In the later part of the school’s life, as money became tighter, the school restricted itself to the lower part of the house, with upper rooms being leased out to local artists and other public figures, with their studios being open for public viewing. The school was declared bankrupt in 1900 and closed down.
Reported Paranormal Activity:
The main report of paranormal activity at St Johns House seems to centre around two sisters who are connected with the old medieval hospital. It is reported that both sisters met their deaths here. One sister was burnt to death while attempting dry wet clothing, and the other was literally scared to death after the house was broken into one night.
Visitors have also reported hearing and seeing children playing in the corridors, as well as hearing footsteps whilst exploring the cellar.
But, perhaps by far the most sinister of spirits, is reported to lurk in the shadows of the cellar, waiting to prey on the vulnerable females of whom it’s said he loathes and despises.
Your overnight ghost hunt at St Johns House includes:
- Vigils led by experienced investigators
- An equipment demonstration before the investigation begins
- Full use of our vast array of paranormal equipment
- Refreshments, Tea/coffee & cakes
- Lone vigils at the end of the night where time is on our side
Important factors to consider before booking:
This event may be unsuitable for people with mobility impairments due to the nature of the property being visited. Please call to check anything you might be unsure about before booking your tickets.
All remaining balances for this event will be due by Friday 18th January 2019.